* The Bandar-Log: A Labor Story of the 1950s, Ross Fitzgerald (ed), Connor Court: Ballarat, 2015
* Austen Tayshus: Merchant of Menace, Sydney, Hale and Iremonger, 2011 coauthored
* Alan (“The Red Fox”) Reid, Sydney, New South Books, 2011 coauthored
* My Name is Ross: An Alcoholic’s Journey, Sydney, New South Press 2010.
* Under the Influence: A history of alcohol in Australia, Sydney, ABC Books, 2009 coauthored.
* Made in Queensland: A new history, St Lucia, University of Queensland Press, 2009 coauthored.
* The Pope’s Battalions: Santamaria, Catholicism and the Labor Split, St Lucia, UQP, 2003
* The Federation Mirror : Queensland 1901- 2001. St Lucia, University of Queensland Press, 2002.
* Seven Days to Remember: The Worlds First Labor Government , Queensland December 1-7, 1899, St. Lucia, University of Queensland Press, 1999.
* The People’s Champion. Fred Paterson: Australias Only Communist Party Member of Parliament, University of Queensland Press, St Lucia, 1997.
* The Footy Club: Inside the Brisbane Bears, (University of Queensland Press, St Lucia, 1996).
* ‘Red Ted’: A Biography of E.G. Theodore , (University of Queensland Press, St Lucia, 1994). (Shortlisted for NSW Premiers’ Prize, 1995 and for National Book Council National Biography Award, 1996).
* Labor in Queensland: 1880 to 1988, co-authored with Harold Thornton (University of Queensland Press, St Lucia, 1989).
* Bligh, Macarthur and the Rum Rebellion, co-authored with Mark Hearn (Kangaroo Press, Sydney, 1988). Released in paperback in 1989.
* From 1915 to the Early 1980s: A History of Queensland (University of Queensland Press, St Lucia, 1984). Released in paperback in September 1985.
* From the Dreaming to 1915: A History of Queensland (University of Queensland Press, St Lucia, 1982). Released in paperback in July 1986.
Edited Non-Fiction Books
* Heartfelt Moments in Australian Rules Football, edited by Ross Fitzgerald, Connor Court:Brisbane, 2016
* Australia’s Game: Stories, Essays, Verse & Drama Inspired by the Australian Game of Football. Contributing editors Ross Fitzgerald & Ken Spillman, Slattery Media : Richmond, VIC, 2013
* Growing Old (Dis)Gracefully : 50 Australians reflect in life over 50, edited by R. Fitzgerald and Lyndal Moor, Sydney, ABC Books, 2008
* Partners , introduced and edited by R. Fitzgerald and Ann Henderson, Sydney, Harper Collins, 1999.
* Fathers : In Writing, introduced and edited by R. Fitzgerald, and Ken Spillman, Tuart House, University of Western Australia Press, Perth, 1997.
* The Eleven Saving Virtues, introduced and edited by R. Fitzgerald, (Minerva, Melbourne, 1995).
* The Eleven Deadly Sins, introduced and edited by R. Fitzgerald, (William Heinemann Australia, 1993).
* The Greatest Game: Writings on Australian Football, co-edited with Ken Spillman (William Heinemann Australia, 1989). Released in paperback in 1990. Reprinted 1995.
* Comparing Political Thinkers, edited and with an introduction by myself (Pergamon Press , Sydney, New York, Oxford, 1980). (Translated into Portuguese, University of Brasilia Press, 1981; also Braille Talking Books, narrated by Hewitt Warburton, 12 cassettes, 1986).
* The Sources of Hope, introduced and edited by R. Fitzgerald, (Pergamon Press Australia, Sydney, New York, Oxford, 1979).).
* What it Means to be Human: Essays in Philosophical Anthropology, Political Philosophy and Social Psychology, introduced and edited by R.
Fitzgerald, (Pergamon Press, Sydney, New York, Oxford, 1978).
* Human Needs and Politics, introduced and edited by R. Fitzgerald, (Pergamon Press, Sydney, New York, Oxford, 1977).
Creative Writing, 1973- present
* Going Out Backwards : A Grafton Everest Adventure, co-authored with Ian McFadyen, Hybrid Publishers, Melbourne, 2015
* Fools’ Paradise : Life According to Grafton Everest, co-authored with Trevor Jordan, Arcadia, Melbourne, 2011
* Soaring: a novel, (Angus and Robertson, 1994). Eros Foundation, Book of the Year Award for 1994.
* Conquering Everest: a play, co-authored with Antony Fennell (1994).
* Busy in the Fog: Further Adventures of Grafton Everest, Published in Australia by Macmillan, 1990 (released in Pan paperback, 1991).
* All About Anthrax, (Sydney: Hale and Iremonger, 1987). Published in London by Corgi-Bantam, “Black Swan” Series, 1989.
* Pushed from the Wings: An Entertainment , (Sydney: Hale and Iremonger, June 1986). Published in London by Corgi-Bantam, “Black Swan” Series, 1989.,
* Book of Poems: The Eyes of Angels, with an Introduction by David Holbrook (Sydney: The Saturday Centre, 1973).
Documentary Film Projects
* The Legend of Fred Paterson, ABC TV documentary, with Jonathan Dawson and Pat Laughren, ABCTV, April 1996.
* Red Ted and the Great Depression, ABCTV documentary, with Pat Laughren, ABCTV, August 1994.
* Stories from the Split, ABCTV documentary, with Pat Laughren (in production)
Feature Films, current
* Ross is currently working on a TV documentary, ‘Stories from the Great Australian Labor Split of the mid 1950s’- with Owen Johnson and Pat Laughren and also working on a TV documentary about recovery from alcoholism, ‘Last Drinks’, co-written and co-produced with his friend Neal Price.
* He is also writing and co-producing a feature film, ‘Nelle/Kerensky’, with Ian McFadyen in Brisbane.